Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Savor the Spectrum, Miss Dansie!

Know what you eat...


I THOUGHT I was eating well. I THOUGHT I was getting my 5-a-day. I THOUGHT I was making good choices...




Not so much.


That's me eating a Donor in Rotterdam, Netherlands... Donors are NOT on the Spectrum...


In my mind, it was okay if I had a Dunford chocolate-chocolate donut or a strawberry shake from Del Taco or nachos once (okay...twice or sometimes three times a week) in a while IF I "made good choices the rest of the time."

About a week ago, I was angry at myself because I started to pay attention and found that I wasn't eating enough fruit and veggies. I was upset and that lead to more nachos-this time WITH a strawberry shake. (Del Taco really does have a great shake. It's lower in fat than most and has REAL "California" strawberries, rather than sugary mush...it's just super high in calories...) And, as you all know that leads to a sad, sad downward spiral eating more junk for dinner and then a TUBE of Thin Mints for snack at 11:30 pm. Nice.


It wasn't until last Thursday that, Dadadada...it was time to "Savor the Spectrum" at Liberty Elementary! Liberty's staff has been challenged to commit to eating AT LEAST 5 fruits and veggies a day in a variety of colors. I signed up-and started THEN-even though the official start date wasn't until the 16th.

Mmm...a happy breakfast! OJ with yogurt and LOTS of protein!
That's Brandon ^

Since then I've done a little digging and have found some VERY valuable tools. I found an application for my Blackberry that lists nutritional info for quite a few fast food restaurants and the site: http://www.nutritiondata.com/. PLEASE go play! You can search by food and restaurant, as well as pull up food that will do the most good for YOU. I've added their widget to the blog as well-USE IT! I'm sure you'll be surprised... Also, Check out: http://www.thefruitpages.com/ for A LOT of great fruit info!

Here it is the evening of the 17th and I've already hit 12 servings for TODAY and I haven't had dinner yet. Savoring the Spectrum is EASY when you really stop to think about what you put into your mouth-and what counts as a serving! (A palm-full of raisins-or any other dry fruit-equals 1/4 C or one serving! And guess what?!? Not only do they "count", raisins are NECESSARY for simple brain function AND they keep us awake during Power Hour!!!) This morning I threw two handfuls of frozen strawberries, half a banana, an orange-and some extra orange juice in my Magic Bullet mugs and in 5 minutes or less, I had breakfast for me-and Miss Greene! Best part?! 5 fruit servings, no added sugar and our classroom smelled like Jamba all morning long.




So...watch out Mrs. Cambell, Room 14 is savoring ALL the time now!

No comments: